Serves 6 -8 Preparations time 10 mins Cooking time 30 mins
This is one of my go-to favorite Thai recipes. Adding the spirulina lends weight to the name – it will turn out a rich green colour.
You can add spirulina to just about any of your favorite curry dishes without unbalancing the taste.
1 tbsp oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
2 tbsp green Thai curry paste
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup chicken stock
500 g chicken thighs cut into pieces
100 g green beans
1 sweet potato cut into bit size cubes
4 kaffir lime leaf
2 lemon grass stalks (white fleshy part)
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp brown sugar
4 tbsp fresh spirulina
1 cup coriander roughly chopped *to serve
- Heat oil in a wok or large saucepan
- Brown chicken pieces for 3 – 4 mins and set aside
- Add onion, ginger and curry paste and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add coconut milk and water, and bring to the boil.
- Add chicken pieces, beans, sweet potato, lemon grass and lime leaves, and stir to combine. Add more coconut milk to cover chicken and sweet potato if they are not covered
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until chicken and sweet potato is tender.
- Add fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and spirulina stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander before serving.
Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
You can substitute thigh fillets for breast fillets, but thighs are sweeter and don’t end up as dry.